Don’t Get These Paddles Wet!
In conjunction with our new exhibit opening this spring, Legacy of the Lakes is holding a community art contest using paddles. The new exhibit is phase one of a multi-phase exhibit on slo boats, focusing first on dugout and birch canoes. Whether you carve a paddle, paint a paddle, wood burn a paddle, or sculpt a paddle, we want to see what your creativity can do. Submissions to the contest will be part of the new exhibit and on display throughout the season. There will also be an opening reception, where awards will be given.
People’s Choice Award-This award will be given to the paddle with the highest number of votes from the public.
Juror’s Award-Awarded to the artist of a paddle decided on by a jury of community members.
Artist’s Award-The paddles will be voted on by all the artists who submitted paddles, with the winner receiving this award.
Youth Award-This awarded to the People’s Choice in the youth age category (14 & below).
Rules and Guidelines
- The registration fee is $20.00; $15.00 for museum members. Become a member!
- One paddle will be provided by the museum for each registrant. Registrants are not required to use the provided paddle, but must get approval of paddle dimensions. The paddles being used by the museum can be purchased at Cabela’s. They may require light sanding before painting.
- There are two age categories: Adult, ages 15& up, and Youth, ages 14 & below
- Artist agrees to loan their art to Legacy of the Lakes Museum for the duration of the exhibit, from May 1 to November 2.
- Legacy of the Lakes Museum is family friendly and reserves the right to not display art that is deemed inappropriate. In that event, the registrant will forfeit the registration fee.
- Award winners will receive prizes furnished by area businesses.
- Submissions must include a title of the work and the name of the artist.
March 31: Registration Deadline
March and April: Paddle Pick-up
May 1: Submission Deadline
May 22: Exhibit Open, Voting Period Begins
May 29: Opening Reception, Voting Period End, Presentation of Awards
November 2: Exhibit Close
November 3-15: Paddle Pick-up
Interested in Pledging a Paddle? Fill out this registration form and return it to the museum, along with the registration fee. Cash, check, credit, or PayPal (below) are accepted. Please do not mail cash. Forms can be returned to the museum
By Mail: P.O. Box 1216, Alexandria, MN 56308
In Person: 205 3rd Ave W, Alexandria, MN 56308
For more information or if you are having trouble with the link, you can email email@example.com or give us a call at 320-759-1114.